At Downey Regional Medical Center, we want to maximize patient’s independence and quality of life. We are dedicated to a continuum of care and offer a variety of outpatient rehabilitation services.
Our physical therapists have an average of 15 years of clinical experience working with a wide variety of orthopedic and neurological conditions. The average number of physical therapy visits for our clients is usually between 6 and 8 – with a slightly higher average for post-surgical cases.
We have an extensive array of exercise equipment to facilitate the rehabilitation process, including:
• Cybex and Biodex for isokinetic strengthening and testing
• Aquaciser for water therapy
• 10-station Universal gym for general strengthening
• Stationary and recumbent bicycles for endurance training
• ClimbMax stepper for advanced conditioning
• Interferential current device for treatment of low back pain
Our staff of Hand and Occupational Therapists (CHT) has an average of 15 years of experience working with conditions of the forearm and hand. Innovation and quality have been the hallmarks of care since its inception in 1977, including the original study for desensitization techniques for the hand. In addition to a very high standard of care, with a low average number of visits, we are also able to fabricate custom splints.
A multitude of specific exercise devices for the elbow, wrist and hand have been developed by our innovative staff. We have state-of-the-art rehabilitation equipment for strengthening and testing for maximum results.
Disorders affecting speech, language, voice, cognition as well as swallowing are assessed and treated by our speech therapists. To maximize client functioning and compensate for any remaining deficit, DRMC speech therapists emphasize education and training for the client and family, including:
• Dysphagia evaluation/treatment
• Aphasia and Apraxia evaluation/treatment
• Voice therapy
• Pediatric speech and language delay
• Head and neck cancer
• Passy-Muir speaking valve evaluation